In the entry for 12th December 1661 the following events are modelled:
- William Bowyer and John Gregory visit Samuel at his home.
- Pepys, Bowyer and Gregory go to the Dolphin for their morning draught.
- Samuel dines with Lady Montagu and Sir John Crew at the Wardrobe.
- Samuel goes to Westminster in search of Sir John Robartes.
- Pepys and Robartes work on Privy Office matters.
- Pepys visits William Penn at his home.
In the course of writing up today's topic map, I discovered (thanks to my birthday present to myself of the L&M Companion volume) that I have made a couple of errors in the interpretation of the diary.
Firstly, "The Wardrobe" is most likely a reference to the headquarters of the Kings Great Wardrobe which was off Puddle Dock Hill and not in Wardrobe Court. Secondly, Pepys frequent business with the Lord Privy Seal is as a result of him acting as deputy for Sir Edward Montagu who holds the position of clerk in the Privy Office. So in fact, when Pepys works with the Lord Privy Seal, it is more likely on Privy Office business than on Navy business.
To address the first issue, I have created a new topic representing the headquarters of the Wardrobe at Puddle Dock Hill. The second issue raises the problem of the names of certain events which may be misleading. There is also the issue of making retrospective changes to the entries made so far. My feeling is that the best way to do this is to consolidate the entries into a single topic map and then use either tolog or a TM4J application of some sort to manipulate topics as required. More thought is needed on this.
New and updated topic maps: